With over 1,000 centers nationwide, the Small Business Development Center, SBDC, is the largest business assistance organization in the UnitedStates. Their top priority is to empower small business creation and expansion, to achieve job creation and retention, capital investments, and dynamic innovation that improves quality of life in the region.
2020 was an unprecedented year due to the pandemic and the SBDC was in our community helping small businesses get through it. Here are just a few of the highlights on how they helped and supported small businesses here locally:
- $103 million in disaster capital due to SBDC assistance
- 4,400 businesses assisted related to COVID-19
- Shift in March to 100% online assistance, including trainings and one-on-one business advising
- Continued success of “Connecting with Capital”, showcasing the changing lending market
- Another successful San Diego Angel Conference, helping to foster local angel investment
- Helping small business access over $200 million in government contracts through programs like Meet the Buyers
The San Diego & Imperial SBDC provides a vast array of no-and low-cost support to entrepreneurs and small businesses through their 9 locations listed below:
- North San Diego SBDC (Mira Costa College) in Carlsbad
- Imperial Valley SBDC (Imperial Regional Alliance) in Imperial
- East County SBDC (East County Economic Development Council) in El Cajon
- South San Diego SBDC (Southwestern College) in National City
- Alliance SBDC (Asian Business Association of San Diego with the Central San Diego Black Chamber of Commerce and the San Diego County Hispanic Chamber of Commerce) in Kearny Mesa
- International Rescue Committee SBDC in City Heights
- The Brink SBDC at the University of San Diego, a specialty SBDC for innovation-based companies
- Connect SBDC, a specialty SBDC for innovation-based companies
- Export SBDC at the World Trade Center San Diego, a specialty SBDC for companies expanding to international markets
It’s worth noting that Primary Funding is a proud supporter of the SBDC. Most recently our own Fernando Ponce, Regional Business Development Officer, was a guest on their “Meet the Lender” series. You can see the interview via this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Di024jehYqQ
“If you are an entrepreneur or small business owner, it’s worth your time to look into the SBDC and learn more about the variety of resources they have available,” said Fernando. “They offer training workshops on things like how to start your business, financing your business, operations, accounting, marketing, and a lot more,” he added.
Primary Funding will also be partnering with the SBDC on a July 20th webinar titled, “Cash Flow Solutions for B2B Business Owners.” Businesses that are experiencing cash crunches due to rapid growth, delays in payments from customers, etc., this webinar is for you. For more information and to register, simply click here: https://sdsbdc.ecenterdirect.com/events/14457
The SBDC has experienced advisors and trainers ready to assist you in starting, growing, and succeeding with your small business. If you’re located in the San Diego and Imperial counties, you can visit their website at www.sdivsbdc.com for more information.